Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's not easy...

...being a mom. (Not that I was ever disillusioned into thinking it was!)

It seems that we are have some difficult days ahead of us. Now that Ava is mobile, she is always on the go. With that comes the ever constant desire to explore and get into all the cool things that are around the house! Unfortunately for her sweet little self, she doesn't always do things that are good for her or that we want her to do. She loves wires of any and all kinds and can seek them out like you wouldn't believe. She also loves to stand up to windows and pull the blinds away from them. Her newest fave is to stand up at our master bath tub and turn the (hot) water on. During bath time tonight, she was half in, half out of her tub and was trying to reach for the faucet and I just knew she was going to face plant into the tub. Thankfully she didn't..

Which leads me to the topic of disciplinig. Obviously some of what she wants to do just isn't going to fly. Either it's dangerous or no good for her or it's something we don't want her to do (i.e., pulling the blinds and ruining/breaking them). We are trying hard to limit our use of the word "no" because when we use it, I want her to know that we mean business. When Zach tells her no she sometimes gets a little whiny and shrieks a little, almost like throwing a tantrum (seriously? already?). However, when I get serious and tell her no, she looks at me, scrunches up her face and cries. And it breaks.my.heart. I have seriously almost started crying too. Ugh! I feel absolutely awful when I make her cry, but obviously I'm stern with her for her own good.

Is anyone else facing this same issue? What are your experiences with disciplining? How early did you start trying to teach your child right from wrong and what they can and cannot do? How did you discipline your young child? Any funny stories from your child's early days? I need some help here!!

3 comments:

  1. You already sound like a pro! Obviously she gets it when you mean business, which means she's old enough to understand that no means no. Tough battle though. I wish I had great advice, but I don't...I have three less than 2 yrs apart, so we've been in survival mode for the past three years. My husband says that some should invent a child rearing computer program where you can plug in all necessary info and extenuating circumstances, and "poof", you would have parenting advice right then and there for whatever situation you need. Wouldn't that be great?!
    Good luck, it sounds like you're a great mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a little one--but it sounds like you are doing a great job. I will pray for you that this stage does not last long. Good luck--she sure is a cutie!

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop by and check out my first giveaway! You need to win this!

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete

The Edwards Family

The Edwards Family
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back


Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

 


Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Influenster

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved