Mmmmm! Doesn’t that sound so good?? I made this cake over the weekend to take to work for a co-worker’s birthday. It’s such a good cake, and it’s really pretty easy, so I thought I’d pass along the recipe.
I take NO credit for this recipe as my own. It was shared with me by a woman I worked with many years ago. It was always a huge hit when she made it, and the few times I’ve made it to share with people, it’s gotten great reviews.
Strawberry Cake (this tastes SO much better than the strawberry flavored box cake)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans. (or I’ve done two 9x13 pans to make a 1/4 sheet cake)
- In a large bowl, dissolve the gelatin in cold water; stir in the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, flour and 1/2 of the strawberries. Beat for 5 minutes on the medium speed of an electric mixer. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the layers spring back when lightly pressed in the center. Cool cakes in the pans on wire racks. (Adjust cooking time to your oven. Mine always takes less time than recommended, so I started with 20 minutes and mine were done).
- When cool, remove cakes from pans. You can either frost them upon cooling, or freeze them for easier frosting later.
Whipped Cream Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a small bowl (or stand mixer!!) beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in whipped cream.
Then frost your cake! This frosting is SO good. I had some leftover and I had some strawberries left so I dipped one in and oh.my.word. It’s my new favorite fruit dip – ha! :)