Monday, October 10, 2011

Reed – update at 3 days old

Our little man is doing well. He got to come off his oxygen hood Saturday afternoon and we got to hold him Saturday evening. I have also gotten to start nursing. One positive I’m taking out of this NICU stay is that they have the babies on a 3 hour eating schedule so I’m planning on continuing that when we get home and look forward to not having to work out our own schedule like we did with Ava.

His little lung is completely healed from the pneumothorax. Yesterday’s x-ray did show improvement in his lungs, but the course of treatment for certain includes a round of antibiotics for 10 days, so our earliest release date is Sunday. :(

Yesterday was a very hard and emotional day as I was discharged from the hospital without my baby. I know we are very fortunate in the fact that Reed is not terribly ill, but it’s still hard. I was also very fortunate to be able to stay in the Ronald McDonald House last night. It’s located right above the NICU and if helpful since I’m trying to nurse. You have to sign up to stay each day, so we just kind of have to take it a day at a time knowing how we are handling it.

After the 6:00 am feeding today, I came home to see Ava before school. She keeps asking to see Reed and we are hopeful she’ll get to look at him through the nursery window today. I showed her a picture of him this morning and she said “my brudder.” Melt my heart.

Feeding Reed is going pretty well. Each time I am attempting to nurse. Some times he’s interested and we don’t have to supplement with formula. Other times I can’t get him interested at all. The most important thing is obviously for him to get the nutrients he needs and hopefully we’ll be able to work out our differences. :) The last feeding the lactation consultant was in there and she was able to give me some tricks to help tease him.

The hardest part right now is just trying to be everywhere I feel like I need to be. Obviously I need to be with Reed, but Ava is feeling the effects of this too and really misses me. I haven’t seen her much in the past 4 days and it makes me sad. Fortunately this situation is only temporary and all we’ll get to be together before we know it.

And now some photos of our little guy:

IMG_3561IMG_3562IMG_3571IMG_3576IMG_3583 

And just a few from today:IMG_3590IMG_3595 IMG_3589 

Thank you for ALL of the prayers. We are seriously so grateful for each and every person who has uttered a prayer on our behalf. While this is hard, our little Reed is going to be just fine. There are so many other babies that have greater obstacles to overcome and we are just trying to find the positives to focus on. That being said, I do feel as though Reed would not be where he is without the prayers of so many. So even if we can’t thank each of you personally, please know how deeply touched we are for each and every person praying for us.

3 comments:

  1. sarah he is just PRECIOUS!!! lvoe him to pieces!! Praying for your strenth this week!!!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I totally missed that you even had him! And on my anniversary too!! :) Congratulations! He is precious! I will be praying for his lung!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! I will be praying for Reed and for you too, Sarah. May God give you the strength you need to get through the next week where you want to be two places. Can't wait to hear that Reed is home!!

    ReplyDelete

The Edwards Family

The Edwards Family
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back


Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

 


Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Influenster

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved